Friday, April 29, 2005

Peaking for a race

Everyone has their own little way of peaking for a special event. I just wanted to share my method for others who are looking for something to try out. It is based on the peaking method outlined in Eddie B's classic book on road cycling training with some insight from Dave Morris


That is a pretty good book. Though dated on things such as nutrition. But I really like his philosphy on climbing strategies and this peaking strategy.

Basically.

2weeks before a race
-Hard ride race pace the race distance or even longer
-Race pace less than 100% of the distance, like 70% or something
-if you can do it, race pace but cut duration again
-Recover
- as long as it takes you. Go easy keep the legs spinning but realize that it is going to take some time to get your legs back under you
-Then start ramping up. Bring back the intensity but keep durations short.
You should be at the point were you are chomping at the bit and have to hold back
-2 days before the race, really easy or even off
-Day before the race, 1hr easy + 5x1min at high wattage.
-Day of the race, good warmup, some really hard efforts, sprints, get the legs pumped and sweating

I've tried this many times and it usually works pretty well for me. I've seen it take almost 10 full days to get my legs back after doing a 3 day peaking over reach.

Anyway, this strategy works for me, your mileage may vary. But it is something to think about to play around with to see what may help you get that little extra oompf for a special event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home