Friday, April 22, 2005

Dirt crit a bust

Sort of a bust at the dirt crit. The thunderheads were rolling in all day and driving out there the wind was picking up. Got their early to warmp up some. My for was topping out. Just rebuilt it and not enough air in the SPV chamber.

Brian and a new guy John showed up. John had a beat up old cross/touring bike. It started to sprinkle some and we heard some thunder, but said we'd go do it till we got poured on. John had a slow leak in his super thin crosser tires and said he'd ride a couple laps until it went flat.

We rolled out on the track from the parking lot which isn't ultra buff, has some rocks etc. I have a hardail w/ fork , Brian has a fuel and John has this crosser. Rolling down the track, I was moving pretty good, trying to get into the flow. I hear the rattle of a bike behind me and glance back and it's John on that crosser.

I am thinking man that dude is either going to have us for lunch or he's going to get pounded. Unfortunately he pinched on the last rocky section before Poverty Creek trail. So it was just Brian an me. We scouted the track and did a couple of laps where we towed each other then just hung out and talked. We only got sprinkled on a little and it never poured buckets like they said.

It is so lame sometimes the way you can just live your life day to day in a cocoon. I haven't seen or talked to Brian in over 8 months. We live in the same small town. When you have a family esp with small kids, your life just goes at ultra speed. And you tend to do things with other people that have kids, and just spend most of your time within your nuclear family. I need to make a better attempt at keeping in touch with friends.

Bri locked is keys in his truck so I drove him home to get a spare. No spare so the lock/key guy met us out there. Literally less than 45 seconds of touching the vehicle he has the door open. Amazing.

It was nice to catch up and chit chat. I'll make that exception to my current MO of ride hard and fast, then go home, for long time friends!

The few laps we did do were fun. Once the legs got primed up it felt pretty good. Things happen much faster when you are riding over your head. Was blasting through some sections as fast as I could. Not turning soon enough around a tree, ending up hitting it wide. The timing changes a lot when your speed increases just a little over what you normally ride a section.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home