Sunday, April 17, 2005

Bow to me underlings

Bask in the glory of the power emanating from legs. Beware the mighty force of their devastation.
bolt
There was the creaky noise around my BB. Couldn't figure it out. Wasn't sure if it was the front der scraping the chain. Actually the front der was scraping the middle ring when in the big ring. Let's see 70-100 rpm over the course of 2:45hr ride with a fair amount in the big ring. That's a lot of stiction.

But I digress. Changed the chain, creak still there. Removed the saddle, greased everything..creak still there. Hmm. Look close at the crank, was just about to pull it and the BB when I notice marks on the chainring bolts. Thought it was dirt, but nah, it was different.
crank

3 of the 5 bolts were cracked. Yes sir E bob. All 133 lbs 5'4.5" of pure raging power devastated these weight weenie bolts. Not sure if I over torqued them or if it was my hugeness that did them in. Another part bites the dust. It's funny. I'm fairly light and small, and somewhat smooth on the bike. But I have broken almost every parrt of a bike over the course of my riding career. Frames, seatposts, saddles, cranks, pedals, BB axles, rims, levers, stems, now crank bolts.

I shoulda been a product tester like H-ball or Thomasberg.

I think I've got some around to swap out. Well at least my chain is still good and now I've got two to rotate around like are supposed to.

3 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger Jeff Kerkove said...

Easy on the horse power there buddy!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

Typical alloy chainring bolts. Nothing exotic.
Consensus seems to be that they were over torqued, or came loose.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Mr DirtBagger said...

Maybe 100 of your 133 lb massive-a-tude-ness is them things you use for legs! I've never busted a chainring bolt, either alloy or steel. Maybe less gruntin on the old hex head, there stud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home