Monday, January 01, 2007

here's to a great new year

Thankful for family, riding buddies, health and my bikes. Here's to a great new year.

Started it off right with a little bonk ride this AM. 50mins as easy as possible. After the last 3 day mini training camp easy is all that is available.

The other day's mtb ride was pretty amazing considering the hurt on the legs. Totally surprised myself by cleaning the bottom part of the Beast.
DSC00933
Only about the 2nd or 3rd time ever. It was the combination of having an audience and taking sportlegs. (Placebo effect my ass, it's for real like ya read about).

I'd turned the rebound up on the shock and it seemed to change the timing just a hair on the stair steps. The Azure is a awesome bike.

Though of note. With the 5th Element shock, changing rebound settings also affects the sag, so you need to go back and reset sag. When I got home I checked sag again and it was less than 25%. So I took 5 psi out of the main spring.

4 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only tried sportlegs once, and it seemed to dimish the leg burn while was pumping hard at Zone 4/5. Last year, I found after 2-2.5wks in the SMSP phase I go past overreaching and start spiralling down. Do you think the sportlegs can help in overall recovery...or only in getting the best out of any one workout? How do you think it is best used: just before, during, after, or a combo? Thanks, Alan. Happy New Year!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

After 2-2.5 weeks of SMSP you might be due for a rest week. During the off season I'll follow the 3 week on-1 week off periods as outlined in the Morris Book. The last week is on fumes often.

But since it's the offseason I don't mind running it into the ground. If your last week seems to be doing more harm than good, switch to a 2week on - 5day rest-recovery period and see if you tolerate that better.

However in season, I switch to a 2week on-5day rest period. Which seems to work better for me.

Typically, I'll use SportLegs in races / race sim events and on the last day of a big training block. For a training day, I'll just take Qty-3 1hr before the ride.

My protocol for races calls for a lot of pills. It might be over the top for you.
1hr before event: qty-3
on start line: qty-5
1hr into race: qty-5
2hr into race: qty-5

I should try to see if 4 works. I know that 3 during an event wasn't enough.

A lot of people like to take sportlegs after a ride for recovery. I haven't played around with this too much. I don't know how they affect overall recovery an accumulated fatigue. My guess is that they are better for event specific usage.

The trick with using them in races is figuring out the timing of when they'll kick in. For me it seems to be 1hr after ingestion. And the dose lasts about an hr.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beast looks brutal. How long is it (timewise). I bought a bottle of Sportlegs, but have not used them like you do.
I usually take three before a hard ride. At my weight 4 might be better and then 4 more during the ride.
Sounds like you've been burning the miles. I'm gonna hit the trainer and Spineverval Sufferama tonight. We'll see how that goes.

As usual a good read.
Hamilton

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no sportlegs for me... i just do a shot of wisky before i ride. (2 if i am racing.)

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home