Monday, December 18, 2006

cold feet

My feet get cold a lot. Part of it is some circulation issues as I get hot foot (tingly) feeling all the time. Part of it is perpetually clammy feet.

I've tried foot powder and antiperspirant for the claminess to no avail.

Orthotics have helped with the hot foot but they still get cold a lot.

If it's under 50 or it's windy, I wear these toe covers:
IMG_0090

I've got some Lake waffle stompers that are very heavy. They are warm, but my feet still get cold in them once they have gotten clammy
I have to change my road pedals over to SPuDs to use them though.

With the road I've been trying some different things.
-One size bigger shoe.
-Wool socks. Woollie Bollies are a new favorite that I wear all the time actually. They help some in the cold but not as much as I'd hoped.

-Layering is the defacto standard for dealing with cold weather. Unless you wear shoes that are 3 sizes big it can be hard to layer the feet. So I'm going to layer on the outside of the shoe this time.

-I'm trying this strategy the next really cold day

-Shoe covers: These are the socklike things that you see time trialists wear.
IMG_0091

(Longs Cycle has some)
**NOTE** you just cut a slit for your cleat, you don't cut a hole the size of your cleat.

-then a windproof outer cover. Windtex rules.
IMG_0092

IMG_0094

-And a chemical toe warmer packet in between.
IMG_0093

I'm hoping this will get me to the bearable stage in the 25-30s.

5 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Keith said...

I've had good luck with the Craft Nemo shoe cover. I think it's a bit thicker than most of the covers you're using.

Keith

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, man-

Enjoy your blog.

I have problems with cold, clammy feet too. The two things I've found that help are making sure I have enough room so that my toes can still wiggle and using sock liners. The sock liners are really important as they wick the moisture from your feet.

Good Luck!

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog!
Sorry for the late reply but i just cannibalized some winter boots by taking out the Thinsulate liners, cutting a hole for the cleat and wearing light booties over them. It has worked for me (20F ride this morning)!

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous site said...

To my mind every person have to read it.

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous mamon de mierda said...

Thanks for your post, very useful information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home