Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Focus...focus

Ever see that Sat night live skit, or was it an Eddie Murphy routine, about that Japanese guy and his camera..FOCUS...FOCUS...

Yesterday the dreaded 3on 1 off intervals. Did first set at 300W. Felt so easy I would have thought the calibration was off. But last rep of first set just bogged with :20 sec to go. Dropped down to 290W and same thing happened. Purely mental. Just not focused at all. Thinking of this and that, thinking of what I'll be writing about here. Kiss of death. Lose focus, then your bodies built in defense mechanism kicks in and it's over.

Same thing used to happen to me in races a lot over the years. I'd be thinking about the kind of training I should have done, and what training I'm going to do next week or next year so that the next time I'm racing I'll ride stronger. Or think about the race report that will be written or what I'd tell someone when they asked about the race... Rather than stay in the moment and find the sweet spot in the pain. As soon as focus is lost the body ratchets down rather then damage itself.

One of the hardest things is keeping focus. Worked better this past year with keeping a few lines of a song going through my head over and over.

The VA state series out here in Western VA is not going to happen this year. There will be some races, but not a whole series like years past. There is a race on Apr 3 in Pipestem, WV but it is so hard to go to something alone, not knowing anyone there. There is a low key series starting in Aug at VA parks in this area that looks like fun.

Hope to keep some motivation going and keep making it through these workouts even though I'm not sure why I'm doing them for the moment.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Carl Buchanan said...

Good post. Focus is definately one of the hardest things to maintain over a long race. I also find it a bit easier to keep a line of a song in my head.
My choice is from the movie Finding NEMO. "just keep swimming, just keep swimming,..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home