Saturday, March 12, 2005

under $300 Stereo makeover with floating IPOD integration

Here is a description of my recent stereo upgrade in my 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon
DSC00171

Goals:
-Economical upgrade
-Upgraded Head Unit with aux input to hook IPOD too
-Simple coaxial front door speaker upgrade
-Simple small powered subwoofer
-straight forward installation w/o amp installs or complex wiring

Head Unit
-Alpine CDA 9825
-Ebay $100 (not including shipping)
-Any head unit with an AUX input will work with an IPOD, but the Alpines are known for putting out good power to coaxials. The 9825 is the lowest model that allow integration with Alpines KCA-420i IPOD interface that allows you to control the IPOD through the headunit. I opted to go with at least the CDA9825 in case I wanted to eventually go this route.
-Sold my old cd player for $30 so actual cost $70

Coaxial Door Speakers
-Alpine SPS 170a

-$55 shipped ebay
-Using the stock speaker mounting ring as a template I drilled holes into the spacer ring that came with these Aplines. They fit fine w/o hitting the window, but it was sort of a pain in the butt. If you went with the IAperformance spacers it would be really easy.
-I also bought from crutchfield some speaker connector adaptors, but the wires are on the short side so I should have cut off the ones from the stock speakers and made my own wires, but I wanted to be done with it right then and there.


Tweeters
DSC00167
-OEM 1998 Subaru Tweeter kit
-$19 (not including shipping) Ebay
-Wires were already there taped away under the door panel
-They pop right in place of the stock door sails

SubWoofer
-Kenwood KSC WA62RC WOOX


$128 (not including shipping) Ebay
-I ran fused power direct to the battery, and then a remote turn on from the HU. The guy I bought it from had both of these wires connected into one single power wire at the wiring harness. I hooked it up like that to the ACC power at the Headunit and got a loud pop whenever the car or stereo was turned on. I re-did the harness to separate the main power and the remote turn on power and it worked fine.
-I velcroed the remote control right next to the Ebrake
-I have 2002 WRX seats in my Legacy which have lots of room under them. So I put the WOOX at an angle under the driver seat. I need to put some velcro to have it stick to the carpet better
DSC00169
-Rear passengers might kick it, but only my kids sit back there 99% of the time

Floating IPOD integration
-Using this web page I made a cable from the Belkin car kit that puts audio and power to the IPOD off one cable.
IPOD cable construction
-The Belkin cable cost under $10 at Ebay
DSC00139

-At the wiring harness I broke out a connection from the ACC power (red)and ground (black) to connect to the IPOD cable power
-Using the Alpine Ainet AUX KCA-121B cable I connected the RCAs into the headunit


-The IPOD cable was ran out an opening cut into the back of the DIN compartment.
-The mount is a 1998 Vehicle specific mount from Pro-clip.
DSC00164
You can get it from
Dension USA
-Basic velcro was put on the mount and the back of the Ipod case.

It is easy to store the Ipod in the DIN pocket, when leaving the car:

DSC00165

-Or go full stealth mode and take it with you or put glove box along with the HU face

DSC00166

Conclusions
-Overall cost for the make over was $300 +/- I forgot shipping and there were some wiring/connector accessories too. Some people spend more than that on each individual component!
-Sound is real good. I'm no audiophile and it is SOO much better than stock it isn't funny, so I am happy
-The WOOX rules. Very adjustable and puts out some fine base IMHO. It makes the rear view mirror shake
-Installation was pretty straight forward without too much headache.

1 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

I don't always comment so much...
but having little to blog about right now
so I channel my BLOG ENERGY into COMMENTS!

I am going to immediately add VELCRO to my iPOD back and Dash when I get home from vacation
already used some Velcro for some kids toys on the dash... Aqua Pets.... it is a fun way to have toys ready and waiting for the kids when we get to the car
the iPOD on the dash will be better than just having it "float" around

 

Post a Comment

<< Home