Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sticking together

I was checking out some other cycling Blogs today at lunch and read something at SickBlog. I quite like his Blog but today took exception with something he said about the posers riding Pink/black team color Giant road bikes.

You know there are a lot of cyclists. Ranging from spinners at the gym to recreational bike pathers to racers to pros. But in the grand scheme of things we are all really still very much in the minority. Cars still want to crush us, hikers want us off the trails, the majority of America feels that we do not belong on the road and our "sport" is just for fun, and rodeo and fishing get more coverage on TV. There is more money in the other ball sports to make cycling look like a joke.

So being so isolated in this country I wish there was a little more solidarity amongst cyclists. So yeah, Joe lawyer has got a full Team kit Dura-ace Trek Madone and the full Nike matching jersey/shorts and the carbon soled shoes. And Miss business exec has got a Pink and Black Giant with matching shorts/jersey just like Kristin does. And you only see them out on sunny weekends.

Well I bet they paid full price for them. Possibly from a LBS. So these people are paying retail for cycling stuff. This money goes into the system. LBS gets some. Manufacturers get some. Companies stay in business. Bike people have jobs. companies make cool things, better things which is good for all of us. Said companies sponsor races and riders. Amateur and pros get pro-deals on stuff or stuff for free, and those special few even get salaries......

...Because regular people are spending their hard earned cash on bike stuff.

Yeah they are posing. It's all relative. No one said you have to be friends with them, but come on, don't bag on them. Make fun of them, ok, but don't judge.

I remember years ago in Davis, CA hanging out with some girls on the cycling team. These were average C level riders and they were just bagging on some regular citizenry out with some Yellow jerseys. Put a bad taste in my mouth even then.

In the immortal words of Rodney, "can't we all get along?"

3 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been riding bicycles for almost 50 years and I'm still not cool but then again I don't know what cool is and I'm now old enough to care less. For some real amusement read the silly letters to the editor published in VeloNews! I very much enjoy your Blog.............hope you find the opportunity to get to some races this season as your training has been impressive and inspirational. Right on, ride on!

AndrewMcD

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My main point about the dude on the pink and black Giant was he was a sketch rider and almost crashed me several times.

I consider myself at minimum, a marginal cat 2 rider who's at least able to keep the rubber side down for myself and those around me. If average joe wants to go plunk down 7G's on a team T-Mo bike, that's fine, so long as he gets no delusions of grandeur that result in me on the pavement with road rash.

 
At 5:17 AM, Anonymous idssinfo said...

Here, I do not actually consider this will have success.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home