Sunday, March 13, 2005

Roadie oxymoron

Yesterday: 4 inches of snow. Making snowmen, and dead lifting huge heavy snowballs. ALL melted away by 2pm. Sore lower back.

Today: 50+ sunny. Hit the road bike for an hour to stretch the legs after playing in the snow for 3 hrs with the kids yesterday. First time on the road bike outside in 2 mos. Such a fun machine. Lugged steel, decent mix of parts but no lightweight compared to what a lot of people are riding.

But smooth as butter, and nimble and responsive. After being on the mtb and cross it feels super fast. Legs felt great. Still have a week of intervals left before next rest week. Moving up on the stair step of training. Seems to be going according to plan. But will definitely need to transition into riding outside from inside. No matter how much you push it indoors it just isn't the same as having a road or trail underneath you.

I am an oxy moron on the road bike: DMT euro style shoes, classic lugged steel frame, hairy legs, helmet with visor, full finger gloves, sometimes camel bak. Any fashion from the shoes or the bike is totally negated by my lack of color coordination and mtb helmet/gloves/camel bak. Style Guy at Bicycling Magazine would crucify me. The only redemtion is when I catch up to some roadies and can hang or pass them. That is fun, but doesn't happen too often.

I'll be getting a Serotta bike fit later this week. Full writeup to follow. Should be really interesting. Been riding for many years, felt that my position is good, but am always speculating that something needs fixing. Noticed that I have been locking my elbows in the hoods, and that have chronic shoulder/neck tightness. Also noticed that with power intervals on the trainer when I move from the tops to the hoods or drops it seems harder to hold the interval.

But when actually climbing with the front wheel tilted up, I can ride on the hoods sometimes better than on the tops. My flexibility in my hams suck which I think has a real affect on my fit.


cya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home