Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Another day, another trip to the torture chamber

This is like a broken record: Today was tough to motivate. Two minute intervals. I seem to have an issue at the 2min mark. 1min, 3, and 4 haven't been too bad, but when I try these 2 min ones I don't seem to nail them as well. It could be because they are always on the 2nd day.

I tried them at 310W, and couldn't get through 2 so dropped to 300. It wasn't that puke-o-rama feeling of pain, but more a dull ache. That last several I half assed and bagged with like 10-20secs left in the interval. Also tried to play some games on the trainer to try and get through it rather than bag the rest of the session.

The whole idea of an ERGO trainer is that you can't cheat. Power is supposed to be power regardless of cadence. But I think on this one you can 'help' yourself a little by grabbing a tall gear and getting the momentum up before you set the Power to the final level. I did this on a couple and was able to roll through them.

Regardless of the true 'accuracy' of the trainer, the bottom line is that I was at the ragged edge, and could either just barely finish them or just could't do it. So it really doesn't matter about the actual power output.

The more I do these the more I realize that while building my MSPO is the most important thing, just learning how to find my place in the pain is just as important. This is one thing for me that has to be LEARNED. It's not natural for me like others I know. It is going to takes courage for me to train like this and when it comes to the races it is going to take courage to break out from the 'safe' riding mode, and push through sections into the redline hopefully with the confidence that I'll be able to recover w/o blowing sky high.

Interesting concept of Courage with regards to sport. To me it is someone like Voeckler last year in the Tour, and what he did to stay with the group time after time to hang onto the Yellow Jersey even though he knew he'd lose it sooner or later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home