Friday, February 11, 2005

PRO the Movie: review

I had ordered PRO the movie direct from Native Productions, and it came yesterday:
pro-cover_001

I have the Hard Road. The Hard Road was pretty good just because there are NO movies about cycling in the US. I think Hard Road could have been much better. But regardless, it motivates me to see these guys sacrificing so much for cycling.

I didn't like the narrator in that one. The PRO narrator wasn't much better IMHO. PRO flowed much better than the HR. I was enthralled by the interviews with some of the racers. Like Saunders, Julich, Horner, Freddie. I'd forgotten what the race outcome was and I literally was on the edge of my seat as the movie unfolded through each lap of the philly race.

Mountain biking is my passion. I am a mountain biker through and through. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my road bike and road riding, but MTB is where it is at for me as far as racing. But there are NO good mountain bike movies that can compare to road footage for inspiring me. I'm waiting for Off Road to Athens to go on sale, but movies about jumping and hucking are cool, but they do nothing to inspire me like seeing the Tour guys ride out of their minds with grimaces on their face.

PRO did a good job of showing how freaking hard these guys work. Man seeing Pate and the other Healthnet guys work it for 3hrs+ on the breakaway was amazing. And just the sheer power of some of those guys. Amazing. When Horner made the move on the wall I got goose bumps.

I wish he'd shown some more of the hardcore training these guys must do to be able to surge and then recover. Sort of like the Rocky training scenes. I always loved those parts.

So while it may not be a perfect movie, it is perfect for cyclists. Inspiring, motivating. Definitely something I can watch many times over.

I really liked Saunders talking about winning and not winning. Christ, if it was about winning I never would have made it past my first race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home