Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ash Wednesday = Ashwin's Day

Another Ash Wednesday come and gone. This year marked by a low key dinner and dessert with the family.

Why you wonder, am I marking Ash Wednesday? When most of the world uses Fat Tuesday as their major party day this time of year why would Ash Wednesday be special you might ask?

Years ago as a sophomore in College at UC Davis, I was sitting at my desk trying to do homework and just staring at the calendar that was in front of my face. Just so happened to be the month with Ash Wednesday in it. Almost every calendar printed has this day marked, and I was just looking at it saying it over and over in my mind

Ash Wednesday....AshWednesday...Ashwin..S..Day...Ashwin's Day
Ashwin's Day

My first name is Ashwin.

..My day.

Man you just can't get any better than that. And being a college student any excuse for a party was, well any excuse for a party. Rounded up some friends and had a few beers.

That was the start of a great tradition. It went from small dorm parties to 3 kegger full scale house parties. Where people I'd never seen before came up to me and yelled.Dude...you rule...

Over the years the party has changed as I have grown up. When I got a girlfriend, the beer and chips party soon transformed in to HorsDVors.

And as I got married and had kids the party changed even more. The last couple years, we have bagged the whole party. With the kids and being on a Wednesday, well it was just more trouble than I wanted to deal with. Sad I am, yes to let something like this fall away. But times change.

Next year...Yes Next year I'm gonna do something more to mark this day.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

See folks. I still haven't lost it. People I don't even know are saying how cool I am. And they are not even drunk from drinking my kegs!

Thanks for the comment. It's fun to rant and rave on a blog, but it's really nice to know that someone actually reads it and likes it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home