Monday, February 26, 2007

Treading lightly

Sinus infection has got me treading lightly. Still don't feel that good. Just seem to be cold all the time. Sinus pressure, congestion, terrible taste in my mouth.

Got some Augmentin which is a 10day course of horse pills. Supposedly takes about 5 days for it to really kick in.

Basic colds are an entirely different animal. Once the fever/aches go away and as long as it hasn't moved into my chest I ride again, even hard. Exercise and even hard riding can be beneficial. It seems to take at least 7-10 days to cough up and blow out all the crap and riding helps loosen things up.

In fact I've had some of my best races on the tail ends of colds.

But an infection is different. Too much too soon and it's like digging your own grave. A conundrum for sure because the legs are ready to go, and the longer I sit out the harder it is to get back into it.

I'm just going to take it easy until I don't feel so cold, that's probably a sign that it's ok to go a little harder. Though I might keep up with a few 1x intervals to keep the legs from getting too stale. Tomorrow I'll try to spin around at lunch, but I'll be bundled up even in sunny/50s.




-----
Medicine notes to self:
pseudoephedrine based decongestants work better for me than phenylephrine based.
Ketek didn't seem to do anything in January

5 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"pseudoephedrine based decongestants work better for me than phenylephrine based"

Without a doubt. The pharmacist will tell you they're the same, but don't believe the hype. There's a reason the phenylephrine versions weren't on the shelf before all the meth addicts ruined the party.

Hope you feel better soon...I think I feel a cold coming on myself, and I'm on the road...hate that.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I start to get even the slightest bit congested I pour on the decongestants daytime and nightime. I have found that without them I ALWAYS develop a secondary chest/sinus infection.
I think riding just makes it worsen faster. 3 days on over the counter decongestants and no riding.

-JSW

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to get sinus infections all the time. The medicine to me was worse than the cure. Amoxicillin, nasal steroids, all of it didn't get rid of the congestion. I read books on sinus strategies. I gave up sodas and started biking. But the thing that has really helped is the Grossan Hydro pulse system. Kind of like a water pick for your nose.

My ENT doc said if everyone used it he would be out of business. Takes about 2 minutes a day.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

I just started to use the NielMed sinus rinse.
Been thinking about the Grossan too.

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous site said...

In my opinion one and all should browse on this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home