Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The march continues

After a 3 day rest period I got back to it with some 4 minute intervals. The next day was some 2 minute intervals. These two sets consituted two of the longest trainer workouts I've ever done. It's amazing how time flies by when there is a set program to follow, but just riding along goes by at a snail's pace.

Over 1.5 hrs with warmup and rest periods. Went through two full bottle of energy drink. Both days went pretty well though the 2 minute ones were tough at the end and a few failed.

I've also raised the front end of the bike about 4"s to simulate a climbing position. This also serves to reduce pressure on the saddle making for a more comfortable trainer experience. The new position has made my muscles a little sore because I'm in a slightly different position.

Used the Stick to roll the muscles out and some Biofreeze as well as laying on my back with my legs up against a wall.


I don't know if any of this crap works in terms of recovery though. The man says that carbo replenishment is the best path to recovery.

Today I drove in with the bike on top and was planing on commuting back but the kids had a thing that needed some shuttling so that didn't work out. But I did hop on for a quick errand. Legs felt decent, but what does 1/2 hr of tooling around really tell.

Tomorrow brings the longest SMSP workout of the block and my training history. With 45 minutes of total on time. It's a combo of 5 min, 4 min and 2 minute intervals. The longer the interval the less puke-o-rama pain there is and more steady deeper leg pain. One more day after that of some 2 minute runs (but with signifcantly less total work) and then it's a rest block of at least 5 full days with a day of 5x1min 2 off thrown in and some 1hr zone 2.

7 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the breakdown (sets, reps) to get 45 mins??

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you training for Expert or Sport class this year? I thought bumping up to 45 minutes of "on" interval training was what Morris called for if one was shooting for the expert category.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

I moved up to Vet expert in the middle of last season. So it's the expert fast lane this year

Today's workout is
5 reps x 5 min on 5 min off then 5mins rest
5 reps 3 min on 3 min off + rest
5 reps 2min on 2 off

actually not as hard as if it was all 2minute or all 1 minute burners.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

correction 5x4min on 4 off
5x3min on 3 off
5x2min on 2 off

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Warren Schimizzi said...

Ashwin,

You're on to something with the stretching! I've been doing 1/2 hour almost every morning since the middle of October and I can't begin to tell you the amount of difference it's made for me. I feel much more comfortable and limber than I ever have while I'm on the bike. Yoga and Pilates in the morning is awesome also - core strength! Rock on.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in you Vet Sport days, what would the similar workout look like in terms of "on" minutes?

Thankx

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

When I first got a plan in 2005 I started with 15min ON and worked up to 27min on

 

Post a Comment

<< Home