Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Strength training coming up

I'm almost done with my transition lifting. It's been more than 3 weeks of some easy lifting. I slowly work up to 4 sets still at some light weights. I only got really sore at the beginning.

Hypetrophy is the first phase of strength training. It is a killer. 6 sets 8-12 reps. It just torches the legs.

I'm not going to follow the same plan for upper body though. I'm doing some new stuff that I really like that focuses on functional and core too.

-dips
-pullups
-inverted rows

-standing military over the head
-single leg rows (stand on one leg, bend over with 10lb dumbell in one arm) This is a great one for balance

-woodchopper with the cable machine
-plank-30seconds
-bird dog-30 sec/side
-superman-30 seconds
-pushups/lift one leg on a swiss ball

There's always debate on the strength training issue. Whether or not to do it, and if so how to do it. Linear periodization like I do vs newer types of periodization.

It's tempting to read stuff and then change the plan. But I'm trying to just stick with my plan. I like that Dave uses strength training as one part of a whole plan. Too many people look at it in total isolation.

BELIEVE. There was a article in some bike mag of favorite lessons from pro-racers. I think it was Freddy Rodriguez that said Believe. Find something to believe in and stick with it.

During the hypetrophy phase, my riding will be just messing around. The legs get really torched in this period, and it plays games with your head when you ride. I just have to remember that I won't be realizing the benefits until April and May. No convenience store mentality here. No quick fix. Slow and steady on day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home