Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Forgeting to put out the trash.

My wife and older son went to Chicago for 4 days to visit her brother. I've been home with the other kid.

I'm sitting here checking emails for work this morning and the garbage truck goes by. Without our trash on the street. Missed the boat on that one. I must say that I don't know how my wife does it. How she runs this ship of daily life.

My world swirls with all the tiny minutiae you see presented here. From small tweaks to components to the smallest detail of carbohydrate content in gatorade. I'm having a hard time just getting the kid dressed and on the bus. Soccer. Cleats, shin guards, water. Jersey. What time, where. ...

Monday. School day. He doesn't like what's on the menu. Pack the lunch. Don't forget the icepack. Check the folder for notes from teacher. socks, shoes, coat, brush teeth. Bus comes at 7:58am. It's 7:57 where are your shoes?

Be home by 3:45 to meet the bus. It's 3:30 gotta wrap work up. don't be late. . Dinner? What, no mac&cheese in the cupboard

I don't feel like argueing with him over eating something else. Hello.. Dominoes..One order of breadsticks please. Make sure that the breadsticks don't touch any sauce. Got that?

No you can't have any candy until after dinner. Drink your milk. Get your jammies on. No movie till you drink your milk. Go ahead and cry. Ok. 30 minutes till time for bed. 5 minutes till time for bed. Time for bed. Brush teeth. Floss. Read book(s).

I actually cleaned the kitchen and vacuumed the house. So that was just one room. And I was exhausted. The clothes are already piling up. I'm not even going to go there. Is this a colored, or white. It's okay to wash this red towel with the white clothes right? I guess I could look it up on the Internet and figure it out. Is gray considered a color or white. There needs to be an mtbr for laundry. 4 hours on the forums and I'd have 100 opinions on how to do laundry. 2 more hours of sifting to distill the information to a useful plan, and than I'd be ready.

4 days isn't that long. Any longer and I'd have to completely rewire my head. Dominoes and Wendy's won't cut it for long.

It's hard to mix minutae from one area with another. Bedding in Juicy 7 brakes and the proper positioning for corners doesn't mix well with the proper procedure for packing lunch and how to tie this karate uniform and belt.

2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. I give tons of credit to my wife and her full time job of caring for our kids. Its hard work... a lot harder than my desk job. I am almost more exhausted looking after just one of my kids than a 2 hour bike ride.

Laundry, dishes, cleaning, folding, making meals, shopping for food, paying the bills, fixing stuff around the house --- then going to work 40 hours a week (or more) to pay the bills, buy the food, buy the clothes... its an endless cycle. Sure doesnt leave much time for fun things like riding bikes... man, I really had it good when I was a kid and I didn't even know it.

I try to pitch in and make a team effort at my house. lately I havent been able to get many rides in, but I am trying to lay some ground work so we all can get out and do some fun stuff.

Great blog by the way... read it every day.
peace.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Carol said...

You go Ashwin -- love your writing style; also found this entry in particular endearing since I can relate to it as a parent.

I've had a few new prs lately including my first 10k dist ever (I was down at the river trail) today. if you guys (Karen too) want to see its here in Blogger under " adayandarun" . Have a wonderful Thanksgiving trip to the state park!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home