Monday, March 27, 2006

The difference between a bike geek and a cyclist

I went for a ride yesterday on the hardtail. Off road.

When I got back my wife asked me how it was. With a big smile I said how fun it was.

And with that quizical look that any bike geek knows, she asked me why I don't ride it more than the full suspension if it was so fun. Which is really code for why do you need more than one mountain bike.

Um..it's quicker.

Well than shouldn't it be faster.

Yeah, but quicker isn't always faster. Ya see, a full suspension is faster, but also more stable. and well, it's fun too.....

.... these conversations don't go on very long.

This is the fundamental dichotomy between someone who rides and someone who is a bike geek. My wife is a cyclist, a very strong cyclist. She has two bikes. A road and a mountain bike. She has had both bikes for more than 12 years. Neither bike setup has changed unless I put something on it.

I am a bike geek. I futz with my positions daily. I have had several bikes over the years and currently have a FS, hardtail, and road bike. I want a single speed hardtail, a trail bike FS and an XC fs, a road bike, flat bar cross bike, and cruiser commuter..etc. I swap out components ad nauseum.

Good thing there is room for all of us in the world.

1 Comments:

At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorta like that too.
It started with fishing then I got into bikes and pretty soon I decided I wanted a BMX bike, a mountain bike, and a road bike. So far I have all three. But then you find out that, well, they each of these general groups subdivide, and you don't want to be caught "unprepared."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home