Saturday, March 18, 2006

Copper Canyon Tour: Part 7: Goodbyes and Transition

The drive back was just as long. 10hrs.

More immigration stops. I was questioned about my US Citizenship.

The conversations started to turn towards the real world, work, kids, etc.
It was going to be hard to transition back to the real world. Who was going to make us breakfast, lunch and dinner? Tecate and hour de vours at 6?

It was sad to see everyone go their separate ways once we reached El Paso. As soon as we stopped we called home to check in only to find our oldest son had a temperature of 104. We switched over to worried parent mode and the honeymoon was over. Changed flights to an earlier one to get home sooner.

We were ready to get home. Obviously this was fun, but you know what I mean.
---------------------------------------
What a fantastic experience. Many thanks to Western Spirit and our guides
DSC00784

For putting on such a great show.

Many thanks to our partners in crime from all across the country. We didn't know each other before the trip, but once you ride with people on something like this you are automatically friends. That is the beauty of mountain biking.

Do you know how lucky I am to be able to do this kind of trip with my wife?
DSC00580
She is so awesome. And can she ride, or what? I am so grateful to have had this opportunity to reconnect with my wife of 10 years. XOXOXOXX


-------
Back home now, back to regular day to day. It's nice to be back. They say trips like this change you. I think so. Make me think how great we have it in the states with clean water, and septic systems that flush toilet paper, medical care, etc.

Also makes me think about all the STUFF we have and the complexity of our lives that seems so out of place in Copper Canyon. People would just sit around a lot out there. Just be. Here I've always got to be doing something. People get by on very little out there. We have so much crap. What can we get rid of? How can we simplify? How much do we really need to earn? I am as bad as anyone. Being a bike geek can do that to a person. But I do want to simplify our life some if possible. It's so hard with the built in American Way of keeping up with the Joneses.

We talk about moving to Creel and opening up a bike shop/coffee shop. I don't know if the mountain bike tourism will ever get big enough to support it like in Moab, but you never know. It is some sweet riding that is for sure.


Oh my legs hurt SOO much too. It's been 7 days since the trip ended. I took 3 totally off then commuted one day, then 1hr road the next and back to the program today. Ughhh it hurts. If history is an indicator it will take me another 4 or 5 days for the legs to come back. I rode out of my skin for 6 days straight on this trip. It was awesome.

Cya.

1 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like a sweet trip and is fun reading. Thanks for taking the time to share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home