Saturday, March 25, 2006

SOLD: Custom Richard Moon Lugged Steel Frame/fork - Bayliss Paint

***Editor's note*** this bike sold within a few hours of posting it on the Serotta forum.
I should have asked for a lot more and probably could have held out for more. There are people who are willing to give their first born child for a Richard Moon frame, and some consider him to be on of the top 5 builders in the world.

Oh well, this guy is so happy it isn't even funny. He practically gave me his life story in order to convince me to sell it. And he said if I didn't sell it to him, his friend was probably going to beg and grovel to sell it. Nice feeling to do something nice for someone. But I got some good value out of it, and someone else is going to ride the heck out of it so everyone is happy.
**************

This is difficult to do but here goes:

For sale: Custom Richard Moon Lugged Steel Frame and Fork (and matching pump)
P1010024
P1010041

Introduction
This is a custom frame/fork that was commisioned from the Builder: Richard Moon of Folsom California in 1999. It was built based upon my static measurements.
P1010029

p1010062

Richard is a relatively small part time builder but he has an incredible reputation and has been placed in very high company. Classic Rendezvous considers him to be one of the Keepers of the Flame. The lug work on this frame is classic and understated

It was designed for the rough roads of Virginia. The ride is supple and smooth, yet it has some get up and go for the climbs. I do not race road bikes, but train often on the road and I wanted a smooth, fast, stable bike.

Geometry
I have relatively long legs and shorter torso so the geometry was designed around that.

P1010023

74 degree Seat Tube Angle
72.5 Head Tube Angle

Top tube (level) 50.5 c-c
Seat tube 52 c-c

Chainstay 40.7
Stand over 78cm from ground to top of bar. This is traditional geometry with a level top tube

Fork rake 1.7"
BB drop 6.5cm approx
Front Center: 54

Standard Bottom Bracket-English

Construction and Tubing

P1010038

This is steel lugged frame. He used BOCOMA that were stamped in a press. Bocoma lugs are not made anymore and at the time he had bought some of the last supply.

P1010040
P1010037
*I have cleaned it better since the picture

P1010033
P1010070

Everest full sloping crown
P1010049
P1010047
P1010052

Braze on Front Der.
P1010051

Shifter bosses on the down tube
P1010073

Tubing
Reynolds 531 for fork
Reynolds 653 Record for main triangle
Reynolds 753 rear triangle

Weight
If you know anything about bikes like these than weight is not an issue. But since you are also a bike geek enough to know about bikes like these then secretly you want to know how much it weighs:

Frame: 3.57lbs
P1010058

Fork: 1.3lbs
P1010059


Paint
Richard sends his frames to the world known R. Brian Bayliss.
P1010028

The color is known as WINE FIRE BLUE. The pictures do no justice and in the sunshine it sparkles.

The decals are all clear coated over with several coats and wet sanded between coats. You cannot feel the seam when you run you finger over them.
P1010025

The lugs, except the BB, have been masked and painted an ivory color, with some gold accents on customized cutouts

The BB has been pin striped in gold.

This also includes a painted to match silca pump
P1010037
P1010039

Condition
This is a used and ridden bike. If you want a new pristine one then get in line.

It has never been crashed or layed down. No dents or major dings

There are some minor paint chips and scratches, and one major paint blemish.

P1010065

The paint has started to rust on the internal cable routing:
P1010032

P1010044

On the underside of the left chainstay the paint started to chip. I sanded it down and put some primer on it. Yes I know it doesn't look good. Thankfully the only time you can see it is when you rack the bike on the car.
P1010066


The answer to the eternal Why are you selling it question.

When I bought the frame, we designed it around my static body measurements. Recently I did a full Serotta dynamic bicycle fit. The results showed that I need a very small drop from the saddle to the bar, but contrary to originally thought I can also accomodate a longer reach. I can make this frame work with the new fit using a very tall quill stem or a long angled stem. But I think it throws off the look of the whole bike.

Not a good excuse to sell it I know, but as a good bike geek I am always changing bicycles. That being said, let it be known that I have owned this frame for longer than any other frame which says a lot.

I should keep it but I'm trying to do my part to simplify life and limit the stuff-if-i-cation of our lives. And someone else can get some serious joy and cachet out of this frame.

$800
$25 shipping

Paypal preferred.

You can check me ebay feedback (ashwinearl) to see my track record.

email with questions :ashwin@vtti.vt.edu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home