Thursday, February 16, 2006

Racing calendar going down the drain

Racing around here is terrible. Other parts of the country have multiple series going on. Choices of 2-3 races every week all within 2hrs driving.

There are some precious few races around here that I can get to. I start filling them in on my calendar only to find several conflicts with work related conferences that I have to go to. A real bummer.

I'm on the plan. Riding in the cold. Sweating in the basement. Gritting teeth, head down working it hard. Only for a handful of races a year. It's a tough sell sometimes mentally. I try to think long term and not just focus on one year only. Hard work is cummulative that will pay dividends two and three years out. But it still tough when I might miss the biggest race of the year.

What can you do? Racing/riding has its place in the pecking order, and it's behind family and work. I am thankful for a flexible schedule that allows me to train like I do now so I guess I'd rather take that and give up a race here and there.

Races I know about

May 7 Middle Mountain Momma-Douthat * conflict with work
June 4 - Hoo Ha *conflict with Better Ride Advanced camp, will probably race don't know yet
July 16 VA Commonwealth games. *Not sure of mtn bike events yet
Aug 13 - VA Derailer series Rocky mnt. * potential work conflict
Aug 26 - VA Derailer Danville *Long drive, not sure if I'll go.
Sept 10 - VA Derailer Peaks View *another long drive
Sept 23 - VA Bedford * I missed this last year. Hope I can make it
Oct 1 Poor mtn hill climb
Oct 8 Rowdy Dawg * No date set yet, just guessing. Home town race.

5 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about road? you can definitely measure fitness there as well... actually, you can think of it as training to supplement the mtb while still geting your competitive fix. just a thought.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll second that - the road is a great fitness test and will only make you a better mtb rider.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.wvmba.com/
should be a few near blacksburg

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Keith said...

If there's any cyclocross racing in your area in the Fall, you should check that out.

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some races in the southeastern portion of West Virginia that are around 1.5 hrs from Blacksburg (Pipestem, Flat top). Check races in the WV point series at www.iplayoutside.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home