Sunday, February 27, 2005

Feeling it

Went to the pond today on the mtb. Skipped the single track and rode the highway over Gap mountain and hit the fire road then took some Gap Mtn single track. Some hikers have been bitching about mtn bikes rutting up the trails and riding around mud puddles. And even though the trails looked ok, I didn't want to add fodder to their crusade.

Just trying to get some blood flowing in the legs before 10min intervals tomorrow. My legs felt awesome. You know that feeling when you are holding back, and you know you can rage, but your sort of reigning in the horses. It's the exact feeling I love to have the day before a race when doing a pre-ride or warm up.

It was fun, I was feeling sick again today, and last night I was wiped out by 7pm, I practically had my son put himself to bed, I was worthless. So I was cold all day even though it really isnt to bad out there. But on the trail and fire rode, I felt fine.

Just marvelling at how poor my technical skills have become and marvelling at how much I just LOVE riding my bike. Even just crusing the fire road, I was having a ball bunny hopping puddles and sticks. There is one big flat rock that I practiced wheeling the front wheel onto and then hopping the rear to ride over it. For some reason I've lost the timing and sequence of steps to wheely the front and end up with the front wheel on an obstacle and ending with your strong foot forward ready to bunny hop. Or as Hans Rey calls it, your chocolate foot

Regardless I was just in my element. I know it may sound sometimes like I'm an automoton with the training in the basement and power levels and intervals. But deep down, I've got the cycling soul. You know if when you see it. Most mountain bikers have it, many road riders have it, though some don't. Most triathelets DON'T. Soul that you only get from doing trail side repairs to finish a ride, or pacelining at 25mph etc.

Not sure how to explain it. For most triatheletes, cycling is just one of the three things they are training for, or doing a brick. But road riders and mountain bikers actually RIDE in addition to train. Balance, grace, power, subtlety, finesse, supplese, wrenching...etc..soul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home