Thursday, February 24, 2005

Ahem..Ahem...hack...cough

The chills and aches subsided last night. This cold is definitely not your run of the mill cold. My wife has gotten hit really hard by it and she hardly ever gets sick. I can't imagine what my 4year old felt, no wonder he has been a royal PIA lately.

Quite glad I did that ride yesterday, as today wasn't too bad. 3x8min MSP with 4 off. I did them at 270W, which is what I sort of think my MSPO is. 2nd one I dropped to 260 for a little bit, but the third one I went back to 270 and was able to finish it.

These are harder to 'cheat' on because you can't go grabbing a high cadence for very long before my heart rate starts to catch up. It was interesting to observe, I'd start the interval around 100-110rpm and the cadence would slowly come down to 90s then in the 80s, and my HR would drop, but my legs were fine. In the past when my cadence started to drop my legs would lug under the power and it would be over. but this time my legs were fine and were just turning over at the slower cadence.

There is an old adage, if your legs hurt raise cadence, if your heart hurts lower cadence. How knows but it sort of works. My chest/heart are still not where they should me and I was clearing my throat, and hacking away. I have enough respect for my basement to no spit all over the place, but I sure wish I had a spitoon.

Now tomorrow I am scared. Tomorrow is my first attempt at a SMSP interval where the work:rest is not 1:1 This time it will be 4 on 2 off. This recreates the kind of efforts you see in mtb racing where you have a hard effort then have to do it again before you have a chance to fully recover.

This is what puts hair on your chest, and I've always been afraid to do them. But it's on the plan so suck it up and do it. Just wish I wasn't getting over this cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home