Friday, February 18, 2005

Ain't nothing but a thang

Last SMSP intervals before a rest week. Just rolled through them without any problems, I was stoked. 4 reps of 5x1 at 320watts. I was worried beacuse of yesterday's hard workout but it went real well.

I was stoked.

Ya know when you have a family, job (other than cycling) kids, etc... Life usually gets in the way of training. I tried to hang onto cycling/racing when we first had kids, and it causes So much stress with my wife. The right thing to do was just let it go, which I did.

And now that I'm getting back into it, racing/training is definitely lower on the food chain behind my wife/kids, and job (requirement for providing for mentioned wife/kids). And quite often, training is shoot from the hip, and gets cancelled a lot.

But in the past 3 weeks I have not missed ONE workout, not one. Part of that is my commitment to it, but also the way it's structured, I can bang it out in the morning, and in under an hour usually, and it's done.

Duh, of course sweating in the basement is not as fun as riding the road or hammering the trails, but for now it is an acceptable solution to meeting the needs of my family with my needs to train.

I'll be riding outside more over the coming months, but again, those too will be more higher intensity and lower volume. Now and then I'll get in the 3hr ride, but for the most part I bet I'll have time for 2hr or less range. Again, not happy happy joy joy, and the only travelling I'll be doing will most likely be to a few races or a rare out of town close by (<1hr) trip. But necessary evils to avoid family stress.

But this kind of training has sort of been a savior to me to be able to put my family first while still getting in some of the best shape I've ever been in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home