Monday, January 24, 2005

Love it when a plan comes together

Remember George Peppard from the A-team.

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Gotta love it when you can live your life philosophy through a 1970's Tv show

pub5

I talked to Dave Morris about hiring him for some coaching. I'll be getting what's called a Training Package from him, which is a fairly low level of involvement. Basically prescribing a month plan. And I take it and figure out how to fit it into daily life. Any consultaning etc is extra. The $150/month plan is where he does everything, anything changes, you call him, no limit on consultation, etc.

For right now, what I really need is help tweaking the plan, and things change on a daily basis with my life so I figure I'd have to do some juggling of the plan anyways.

Funny thing, is what I probably need most is just some motivation. And it is comical how paying someone to tell you something you probably already know is incredible motivation

At my level of training/fitness what he is going to do for me is take his plan and tweak it for me and my events. All this info is really in the book, but hearing it from him makes it like it is printed on gold leaf paper and worth of putting on the mantle.

And it MOTIVATES me.

This week, I am doing 2 day blocks of as much trainer time as I can handle followed by Leadout Intervals one day then Muscle Endurance another day.

Starting on the 28th, I'll be starting the SMSP intervals.

I am excited and very apprehensive about them because of the pain. they hurt so bad. but that is what it is all about.

Regardless of the bike, and how much $$ you put into it, or even genetic talent, etc. It really comes down to how well you can live with and thrive in the pain.

And there is no way to deal with the pain unless you train in the pain.

Dean Golich said one time in an article, "If you never go 30mph, you'll never go 30mph".

Things like the intervals with decreasing rest are something that I have known will take me to the next level, but I've never had the guts to try them. So it's is funny, that I need to pay someone money to give me the courage to work harder.

Regardless, I think it is money well spent, because I am going to be better than I ever was, and this sport, this endeavour of mine has caused me as much grief and unhappiness as it has brought me joy. And there is nothing like riding strong to make it more fun.