Thursday, April 10, 2008

reality check

Went mountain biking for the first time in weeks today. Little bit of a reality check, but still great fun and good for the soul. Climbed Old farm, timed myself for the first time since they re routed part of the trail. 18:41. Considering my best time set last year was mid 15s I've got a goal for sure.

Downhilling and speed comfort has also gone by the wayside. I'm not too worried. I just need to get back to the basics and start workinging again on my drills and get out on the bike more than once every 3 weeks.

Another thing that is an issue that hasn't been in the past is some shoulder fatigue. It's the muscles that you use when you do the chicken dance and flap your elbows out. They are a lot more tired than I've had them in the past. Most probably due to lack of time on the mtb.

Anyway fun fun, nice to get out, nice to carve up a few turns. Motivated to re-improve and enjoy. My new limits are lower than they were in the past but it will be fun to keep pushing slightly at envelope whatever that is.

5 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you back. When and where is the destination ride to North Carolina? Might be able to ride that with you.
Also, based on your recommendation, I got a Tacx ergo. Beats my Fluid2 by a mile. I wussed out and found a Basic for fairly cheap. Too bad it's working so well or I'd get a Flow. :)
Keep at it.
Lou (upstatesc-rider)

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

Hey,
I didn't know they made the basic one anymore. I thought the Flow replaced it. I think they are almost identical except for the roll down calibration feature.

Whenever I have to get on my wife's Fluid I HATE it.

Not sure about any destination rides. Lately I've been out of biking more and more.

I've learned that my mindset works on an all or none kind of fashion and is moving around right now. It bugs me a little that I can go from being so into something to requiring effort to get out the door on the bike. But I gotta just let it run its course.

In the end I always know that I return to the things I love and cycling is one of them for sure.

 
At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just noticed you replied.
I got the Basic off of eBay, it works great. Like you said, the Flow replaced it, and it doesn't have heart rate like the Flow, but I use an old Polar for that.

Glad you're letting your "slump" follow its course, no need to push anything.
Lou.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

I actually never use the HRM. Maybe for the first few weeks, but after that never. It's all about power now and HR is secondary.

I do like the roll down calibration of the Flow. But somewhere I read something about a technique that you can do with the basic. Is there a procedure for calibration for the basic?

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No calibration procedure that I know of. I did use a Powertap wheel with the Basic initially and found that they were nearly identical, pretty impressive I thought.
I'll definitely have to look again about a cal. procedure.
Lou.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home