Monday, May 22, 2006

Going Custom: Part 7: The Waiting

This is part 7 of the Going Custom Series documenting the purchase of a custom road bike.

I am currently in wait mode. The Final design was authorized on April 18, 2006. During my initial correspondence he'd said leadtime is usually 5-6 weeks from final design authorization. Which is actually nothing compared to most builders with leadtimes in the 10weeks to 3months to 1-2 years.

Jim got the frame back from the painters today. He just had the final details to perform. And it was going to ship today with probably an arrival of 5/26. That would have placed it at 5 weeks/4 days.

However he just informed me of a snag. The clear coat is soft and scuffs too easily. He's sending it back. So a few more days till delivery.

It shows a lot of integrity to not send the frame out like that. It's a few more days waiting, but still well within his timeline. Especially given the horror stories I've heard about some builders like Dean.

I've got the fork, bar tape, stem, and front derailleur clamp adaptor ready to go.
It is going to be sweet. Gloss Black, white outlined decals, Bontrager Grippy Bar tape (black with white stitching). Alpha Q pro fork, ITM stem.

What's under the paint is really what matters, but man it is going to LOOK sharp.


Stay tuned for the next post: opening the box.

2 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story...can't wait to see the finished product.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I'm having a lot of fun following this. I'm going through the same process with Carl Strong. Just ordered my wheels. Already have the Campy Chorus grouppo, AlphaQ GS10 fork, saddle, tires. Still need bars, stem, headset, seatpost and pedals. My frame should be ready around the end of June. I'll be sure to post pics fo the finished product in RBR forums. Looking forward to seeing yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home