Monday, May 29, 2006

Dreams Coming True

As a parent it is hard to be patient. Especially as a father. When the kids are little it is so easy to fall into that trap of " Oh, wouldn't it be nice when they are old enough to throw a ball"....

This is obviously the wrong attitude. A watched pot never boils. And you also lose some opportunity to relish in the moment. Becase even though you've heard it a hundred times it is so true. They grow up so fast. It is just so hard sometimes to be patient and enjoy the day to day.

As a cycling father, there is one "Oh wouldn't it be nice" dreams that is ubiqitous. "Won't it be great when we can go mountain biking together"

Today I got to live the dream.
DSC00834
Our oldest son, Ansel, has always been pretty good on a bike. But we haven't pushed him to go off road until he was ready. Today we decided to try it out.

We cleaned his chain, checked his tire pressure, got his Camel Bak ready, got some food, tools, etc. Got a cooler with cold drinks for afterwards just like real mountain biking.

My wife was worried that I was going to push him too hard to ride things he wasn't ready for or to go too far. Who me? The start of the trail is actually kind of a hard short steep downhill. The best thing I did was to just say " You go first, and tell me the best line to take"
DSC00835



Yes my son knows what a good line is and he also knows what to Clean a section means. Because...he cleaned this rocky section, I couldn't believe it actually. And he knows how to pick a good line. I watched him.

He rides hard too.
DSC00839

He stands up like the experts and pros. I gotta figure that out


I forgot to bring the food. Just like real mountain biking, so we didn't go too far. He cleaned the steep hill at the begining too. I've seen lots of adults not even clean it.

When we got back to the car he was beat
DSC00843

We had some cool gatorade. And talk about the ride. Just like real mountain biking.

It was really a lot of fun. I am hoping we can do it more and 'train him', I mean encourage him to continue.

The next dream 'nightmare' might be when he starts riding faster than me. I better watch the Great Santini if that happens.

* I took some video and am trying to post it on You Tube which I will link into here.*

4 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats. My oldest daughter is 4 and we've just started riding off road.She doing around 50 miles a week on the bike paths and side walks and is entering her second race in june.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like I need to get on it with my daughter. She's been riding without trainers since she was about three but I've limited her time to the road so far...

She's pretty interested in BMX so we're going to try that, but I'd love to get her on the trails at some point in the next year or so...

Those little Trek bikes are cool. Anyways, congrats to both of you! Now you can start on your Olympic dreams... :)

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The clips of your son are awesome! I have a "almost 5" year old who cant wait to join me on the mountain. I felt so proud of your son rolling that trail. The way he stands and pedals is so cute. Good job!

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ashwinearl, I¨m moab63 cool to see you with your kind also taking your time with him. I did the same with my son I was riding and racing, until one day he told me I want to race mtb and that was it, on his first day he almost kicked my butt(he was 13), now he kicks my butt and many others. Is so cool as a parent to see and enjoy it, without trying to live thru your kids. Enjoy it because they grow up soooo fast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home