Friday, March 04, 2005

Magazines

Date night last night. Dinner and hanging out at Barnes and Noble. Exciting, yes I know. But relaxing. I've been fairly jaded on cycling magazines of late.

Bicycling is so bad it is pitiful. The quarterly Mountain Bike is ok, but most often times follows the tail of Bicycling. BIKE is just pictures of huckers and hipsters.

Dirt Rag is good. Yes it is good, with features on small custom builders, which is real nice. But the whole single speed thing and cycling counter culture doesn't ring my bell too much anymore.


MBA is well, MBA. It used to be the bible back in the day, but now just seems so Southern Cali. I'll give them some credit that they do still cover some racing now and then.


Cycle Sport is by far my favorite lately. I LOVE the writing and photography, and the subjects motivate me. However, I am about as far removed from pro road cycling as you can get. I ride, but don't race road. So I am wishing for something similar but about XC racing.


Asphalt is pretty cool. Road only, with coverage of small custom builders. But again, I ride the road, but am not obsessed with it like these guys.


Totally forgot about Velonews
I love the website and usually go there along with cycling news to get a fix for what's new. I like it, but I don't know what it is but it just doesn't really get me going. Maybe because it has to spread itself so thin to cover all the aspects of cycling racing. I dunno, it is pretty good though.


But lately, there hasn't been too much print on the mountain bike XC scene. I don't even know how is hot and who is up and coming and who are my heroes supposed to be if I don't really know them. I came across a mag I hadn't seen last night called
Twenty Six.
h3 publications Though the website doesn't talk much about this particular mag only their other titles

It was pretty cool. Racing coverage, and articles on the endurance craze like Trans Alp and some other off road stage race. Real sweet interview with the godfather, Ned Overend

1 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,

agree with you about the magazines.
i've been hoping for year for a
XC mag. I could really give two shits
about "hucking" and 35 lb. bikes.
There needs to be a mag that covers
XC/Endurance racing etc.
Bicycling is so pathetic I can't
even look at it. I end up reading
Velo News most of the time.

26 was good but it's final issue
was the one with Chris Sheppard on the cover.

jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home