Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Going Custom: Introduction and Index

I'm going to get a new road bike.

Custom.
111-1185_IMG
*NOTE this isn't my bike. Just one that represents the style and small builder direction I'm looking for.

This series of posts will chronicle the adventure from inception to choosing a builder, to design, construction, delivery, buildup, initial ride and long term rides.

Introduction

Do I need a custom bike? Doubtful. I do have a somewhat out of norm fit situation but there are probably off-the-shelf bikes that can be made to work. However, I know myself well enough to understand that if I did that I would just continue to second guess and forever seek out a 'better' ride. It's not really about fit as much as it is getting something special.

I relish in the fact that we live in a world where the possibility exists that you can work one-on-one with someone to build a bike exactly how you want it. To do what you want it to do, to ride like you want it, to look like you want it. I am as much looking forward to the collaborative effort in designing the bike as I am to ride it.

In a way it's a chance to live out some dreams. I've got a few simple dreams.
-Have my kids grow up happy
-Race well
-Build frames. I even bought the Paterek Manual. Was all set to try it. But realized that now isn't the time. I'd just get obsessed with it like I do everything I get into. Someday I will. Maybe for my 40'th mid life crisis I'll go to UBI

There are more custom builders around today that probably any time in the US. It is just so cool that this exists. The cost is of course more than production frames, but surprisingly the cost of custom is no more and often times much less than many high end road frames such as Colnago, Orbea, Merckx, BMC etc..

There are many steps in the process.

Read on over the next few weeks to see how it unfolds.

Index of Posts
Part 1: What am I looking for?

Part 2: Choosing a Builder

Part 3: Initial Design

Part 4: Choosing a fork

Part 5: Final Design

Part 6: Choosing a Color

Part 7: The Waiting

Part 8: Arrival - inital impressions

Part 9: Long Term Impressions

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

I had a custom Serotta CIII designed for me by Paul Levine at Signature Cycles It felt weird since I wasn't even sure what to ask, but he knew his stuff and adressed everything I needed. There has never been a bike that has fit me better. If I could afford it I would be running back to get a custom tri bike but that won't be happening anytime soon. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home