Saturday, May 22, 2010

18:55 OF, shoulder pain, etc

Lately, I don't have a chance to get on the bike during the week until Friday or Sat. I think that is too long to go without any saddle time. The legs get stale and one starts to loose the ability to tick the pedals over well.

Last week I'd done a hard high rep/low weight squat workout on Wed Enough to make the muscles tender to the touch. Then hard ride Thurs, followed by road ride with lots of climbing Fri. My legs were toasted. Yesterday I got out onto the Azure for up OF and down beast and up sidewinder.

18:55 up, legs felt better at the bottom, then started to fade. I need a new rear tire, the tread is gone and spinning out too much. Front end still feels wonky. Loosey goosey. Just can't tell if it's the wheel that feels flexy, or the fork. Gotta re-bleed the rear brake too.

My right shoulder is still a mess. Time to get a little more serious about treating it. I think a combination of events and continued use has contributed to inability to heal.

It started after we did a fair amount of shoulder work with push presses and push jerks. The problem wasn't the lifting it is my bony shoulder. My right shoulder has a little bony bump protruding from it: the acromion


On my right side it is big bump. The bar ended up bruising that bone I think. Then the next 3 days I rode on the mountain bike which places a fair amount of wear on the front of the shoulders. Then with all that fatigue in place, I was doing some basic pullups. But, it's amazing how much load is on the shoulders with pullups when you go all the way down and your arms are too close together. When you arms are fully extended and your shoulder is jammed up into your hear, it places a serious stress on the front part of the deltoid. That seemed to really do me in, and since then it just hasn't felt right. Just too much overhead work combined with bruising the tip of that bone. My right shoulder has always had some strength instability compared to my left

I ice it, rest it for a few days, then go and do something like a few days of mountain biking or back to working out. I'll take it easy, but there is no way you can avoid using your shoulder in daily activity or working out. Never realized this till it has issues.

The issue seems centered around the muscle at the front part of the deltoid (anterior deltoid). When I massage deeply and use the massage ball, muscle is knotted. Seems more so on the right side than the left, but the left also has knots.

,

But I think there is more going on here than just muscle. The worst pain is when my arms extended overhead and I hold my right wrist with my other hand and the try to move the arm in an arc to my side. This is an adduction motion, and the thing is, that muscle, isn't used in adduction. If I do this isometric motion against a wall, that muscle isn't even flexed.

I've been icing it and doing isometrics and stretching it, and it gets a little better, then I go an aggravate it again. The pain is sharp sometimes and even though it feels like it's coming from the front shoulder muscle, when I press around with my fingers to try and find it, I just can't pinpoint it.

After more googling, I think I found a potential answer: BICEPS TENDONITIS (LONG HEAD OF BICEPS TENDONITIS). Here is another site.

What struck me was this description:
What does biceps tendonitis feel like?

Pain related to biceps tendonitis is usually felt over the front of the shoulder, often with some radiation to, but not usually beyond, the elbow. Typically, the pain is aggravated by overhead activity and is worse at night. People may report a clicking or popping sensation in the affected shoulder


Makes sense that it is this tendon and not just the muscle. When I press around hard with my fingers trying to see if there is some trigger point in the muscle that is I just can't seem to get to it. The pain is radiated from the front of the shoulder but it's deeper. It seems counter intuitive for this to be related to the bicep because I consider it shoulder issue. But when you look at this diagram you can see that the bicep muscle connects into the shoulder joint.


So I think several weeks dedicated to
1) no overhead work
2) limited mountain biking
3) icing
4) isometric and band type strengthening excercises
5) stretches for biceps/shoulders
6) vitamin I or naproxen

8 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger kmonzo said...

hey man, i happened to be breezing through blogs this morning and yours caught my eye. i am a triathlete, as well as a physical therapist. so i couldn't help but read on when a picture of a bike and the title "shoulder pain" popped up on screen. take this advice: GO TO A PHYSICAL THERAPIST! your shoulder probably needs a LOT more work than you anticipate. it also sounds like you could use some good patient education about what is going on with your shoulder. stay away from the self-diagnosis and go see someone, especially if you are a serious athlete. better to get it fixed now, then re-injure yourself self-treating. (i myself am 7 months post-op recovering from a right shoulder labral repair.) good luck! :)

oh, p.s. get a professional bike fit/bring ur bike into therapy if they understand bikes.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Lincoln Wiebe said...

I hope you work out your shoulder problem.
I wanted to let you know I'm still following the Morris program and really appreciate the help I got from you. I think it's been helping, but haven't raced enough yet this season to know for sure.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger DrG said...

Hope it gets better. Haven't posted in a while too

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Thanks for the post on my shoulder issue.

In reading about your shoulder problems, Jason Highbarger recently wrote an article which was featured in a three series piece on CrossFit West Santa Cruz's blog, the last of which is here: http://www.crossfitwest.com/?p=6446

If you need to get a hold of him you can do so by contacting him on his own blog, http://crossfitog.blogspot.com/

Hope it may help you in some way.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous posicionamiento web natural said...

So, I don't actually suppose this may have success.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous body building exercises said...

To achieve balance, proportion, size and shape in the arms, work all arm muscles with equal intensity. Break the individual "muscles of the arms down into separate categories"

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous check cashing said...

It is really hard to say when exactly need to cash your check. Sometimes it may very difficult to cash if it is not official hours

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Carruth Vallecillo said...

Many individuals require the chance to acquire a little measure of money that would be accessible in their next paycheck and a few organizations will go after that.Cash Advance

 

Post a Comment

<< Home