Sunday, August 20, 2006

Doing the expert thing

I'm pretty happy I moved up to do this expert thing. (I affectionatly call it doin' some expert sh*t.)

This last week, I found myself quite motivated during my workouts. This week the legs were hurting, but there was some power there and it's a rewarding feeling to push through the ache and hurt. It's when I can't get myself to hurt when it's disappointing. I was hurting in this last race, and even though results-wise it wasn't anything special it was a good feeling knowing that I pushed consistently and hard.

My mindset is changing a little too. All the aspects of racing/training have taken on new focus.

Training harder (notice I said harder not longer). I'm not adding anything more onto my workouts that isn't already in the schedule. But if the workout calls for a 2hr hard mountain bike ride. Then I seem to be making the hard part harder.

Recovery
Getting in the carbs right after and for the next few hours after a ride. Protein, getting the legs up, rubbing them down, stretching. Getting to sleep before 10pm.

Eating better
I haven't been craving junk food too much. I'm telling myself that it's ok to eat as much as I want and to not starve myself, but to cut out the junk (candy, fried stuff). We'll see how long it lasts but it's not like it's a huge effort for the moment. All of a sudden, I just don't want it as much.

Flexibility.
I've known for a long time that my flexibility and body alignment is off. Cyclists in general are not well rounded unless they do other sports which I don't. But it really seems more noticeable now. I definitely need to try yoga and soon. For now I'm trying to stretch more.

Skills
My skill work has slipped a little and I can tell on the bike. Back to the basics, doing the drills and getting the focus back.

With every one of these things, there is no magic bullet. Just attention and consistency day to day. We'll see how long it lasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home