Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cornering thoughts

I've been concentrating a little bit on cornering again lately. There was an article referenced at the Biking Hub about Shaums March skills camp.

In it the author was describing the position for cornering:
"And so we rode on, putting everything into practice as we went - adopting the elbows out "neutral" position on the bike, making sure that you could feel the saddle touch the inside of your thigh as you leant it over, weighting the pedals equally."

The thing that stood out to me was the saddle touching the inside of your thigh.
I am assuming that he is talking about the thigh of the inside leg. I've been struggling how much to lean the bike and where the saddle should be.

I'm starting to get more comfortable with the saddle touching the thigh of the inside leg, which is a much more leaned over position.

I went on a long road ride today that had a huge climb and long downhill. I was trying out some different cornering strategies on the road bike. Usually you see people cornering on the road bike in the saddle, where on the mountain bike I've lately been focusing on being out of the saddle.

I tried out some road cornering out of the saddle, with the bike leaned way over my body leaned the other way. Hips angled and the saddle touching the inside thigh.

It's something I rarely see any road riders doing. I looked up some pics from the Red Bull Road rage to see if anyone was doing this there.

Lopes was


Look at this pic


The guy in front is doing what I'm talking about. The bike is leaned over more and the saddle is brushing the insde of the thigh of the leg on the inside of the corner.
The other guys are leaned over in more typical style. Sitting on the saddle more, though still leaning the bike one way and leaning the body the other.


On some corners it felt really good. Even on the mountain bike though I can get it sometimes others not.

Just something to mess around with.

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The inside of the thigh thing is pretty common. When I was first learning how to corner hard and move around on the bike for aggressive descents, my thighs were constantly bruised by one-or-the-other not so smooth attempt.

The bruises disappear over time and it's something that comes almost as second nature now.

Cornering is all about being comfortable with your positioning on your bike and knowing how far your tires will let you lean into a turn before sliding out.

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous muebles de madera said...

Here, I do not actually imagine it will have effect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home