Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Toughness training

35 and rainy this morning.

I had to try it. Days like today are not for training aerobic or anaerobic pathways, etc. It's about mental toughness training in just getting out the door. I can't remember the last time I started riding while it was raining.

35-40 and wet is argueably the worst conditions to be in. I've heard plenty of people say they'd rather it be 30 below and dry.

It actually wasn't too bad except for my feet. I was pretty lame in what I did.

-liner socks
-gortex socks
-toe covers with chemical warmer packs placed underneath them.

-shorts
-tights
-Craft windbloc base
-Short sleeve jersey
-light jacket
-sauna plastic clear rain jacket

-craft glove liners
-thick goretex gloves

Hands got cold at first then warmed up
Needed another layer on the knees

Feet got wet and cold. Water ran down the inside of the goretex socks and made for a cold soak in ice-water. Those stupid socks are waterproof alright. They were holding like a cup of water when I took them off.

That was stupid. If I was going to do it, I should have swapped pedals and put on my Lake winter shoes . At least those wouldn't have gotten so wet so soon.

It got worse when the rain stopped. Then the wind picked up a little.

Those clear rain jackets are such a crock too
They look so-pro but whatever rain they keep off you they make up for in keeping the sweat in. I was warm, but felt like I was in a sauna.

Made it 2 hrs. If my feet were warmer I could have gone longer.

Lessons.
-Wear knee warmers under tights
-Get a decent rain jacket that 'breathes' at least a little
-Wear dedicated winter shoes or more layers on the shoes. Maybe wool socks

I've heard that if you ride in the rain you are going to get wet and you should just resign to that and focus on being wet and warm. I don't know if I'll do this again, but I just might since I did it once already.

Lots of people say that fenders make the biggest difference in keeping your feet dry. But I'm not sure if it rains enough around here to go to all that trouble

1 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Fenders are the difference. I have the Planet Bike half-fenders for road bikes and I regularly ride with completely dry feet. I'm sometimes amazed to come off the bike after two hours and realize how bad the roads actually are, because none of it gets to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home