Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Night Riding

Went out last night for the first time in like 4 years or so. Totally forgot a few things.

I made John run my home made lights
DSC00414

DSC00417

They worked fairly well. Though I think we should put them closer together. Enough light to have fun. But good thing he had a helmet mount light to. Thanks to Matthew for helping me scrounge a battery for it.

I totally forgot how tight you have to keep your helmet straps if you have a helmet mount light. I forgot how fast everything seems even though we were going so slow compared to the day. We went down this really straightforward downhill, and I was trying to keep John in my lights and I was going fast enough to get scared.

The flat light just removes all contrast.

I've ridden these trails for more than a decade, yet so many times I wasn't sure where I was until we came upon larger landmarks. You are just so focused on your beam of light, your connection to the world that I just lose all grasp of where we are on the trail.

I found that I was taking turns much wider than in the day, because we can see the turn point and turn sooner, but in the night I'd see a tree then turn around it, and by that time it is too late, and I'd be coming out of turns way to wide.

Also hitting things I'd never hit in the day, roots, puddles, dips, etc. Timing is all off.

Lots of fun though. Will definitely try to keep it up.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

LEDs are going to the be the future technology for sure. Every major player has one in the works. Check out Jeff Kerkove's blog for what's coming from Cateye.

But also keep in mind that halogens have been around a long time and combined with a new NiMH battery they work real well. So if you don't need the latest and greatest and are on a budget and just want to have fun, consider halogens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home