Friday, March 23, 2007

The pitfalls of hyper sports-specificity

The front of my legs are very sore right now. Tender to the touch almost. The only thing I can attribute it to is playing soccer with my son in the back yard the past two nights.

To put this in perspective how pitiful this is, my yard is only about 30 yards long and about 15 yards wide. And I didn't really run more hobbled. And I only messed around a less than 10 minutes each night. My son asks my why I don't run. I blame it on not having shoes with any ankle support.

It's interesting that I train so focused and so specific to cycling that anything outside that narrow window can cause soreness. The muscle contractions in running, especially the stop/go nature of soccer are completely different than cycling. Eccentric vs concentric contractions or something like that. The point is that they are completely counter to each other.

Unfortunately, balance isn't in my mindset. It's a big debate regarding balancing out other activities vs sport specificity. Especially when you have limited training time/energy.

The questions are: What are your goals? And what is the best use of your limited time in order to achieve those goals.

Things like core strengthening, stretching, skills work all fall into this analysis.

I'm kind of short changing long-term health/well being and overall fitness in favor of specific training for racing XC. One good thing is that I lift weights from approximately October-end of December every year. There is still much debate regarding strength training and its efficacy towards cycling fitness. But given my small frame, and lactose intolerance I better not stop this lifting...ever.

My core work has slacked off, and I'll stretch some after but certainly not dilligently.

My wife has a much more balanced fitness plan. She rides, runs, stretches, and does light lifting all year round. Throughout the year some things take precedence based on certain events, but overall it's consistent and balanced.

My goals may change over coming years as I get older and realize the need to live more balanced, but for now it's the hyper focused mindset and the sore legs from hobbling around the back yard.

3 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only run during the one or two cross races I do in fall (just for fun). It reminds me why I have never gotten into running. I feel your pain. - KevinB

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out Zinn's Cycling Primer

 
At 6:05 AM, Anonymous site said...

It will not succeed in reality, that's exactly what I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home