Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Interesting thoughts on Cleat position

A friend pointed this out to me.

Joe Friel's cleat position experiments

This is pretty wild. I've had some fittings performed by Serotta trained fitters. They like the pedal axle to be under the ball of the foot. I prefer the cleat to be back farther for 2 reasons.

1) it helps relieve pressure off my foot nerves and helps some with my 'hoot foot'
2) moving the cleat to the aft provides a more controlled feeling at the pedal.

However, I've only moved my cleats as far back as the existing holes would allow. What Friel did and the guy he referenced did is move it to the arch. That's a big change.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just tried this after reading the above. Thought that I might get a bit of muscle/leg pain, but I didn't. Feels OK and became intuitive clipping in and out quickly as well. Not sure about the increased power output, but definitely doesn't appear to have decreased it. I'll see how it goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home