Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Getting out in the cold

Last week with some motivation from a friend we did 3 1/4 hours on the mountain bikes. I don't think it ever got above freezing and the wind chill was around 12-20.

And it actually wasn't all that bad.

My new best friends:


I use one pair on my wrists/lower palm, and one pair on top of my toes. They seem to make things bearable for about 3 hrs. After that it's just toughness training.

Today, I suprised myself and did 4hrs on the road bike in 35degree weather with a howling wind on the way back. Bonking in and out the last 2 hrs. This was tough. The legs just didn't want to turn on the hills.

I didn't prepare properly eating wise before hand. Hit a convenience store midway and restocked Gatorade and for the first time in months grabbed crap food. Doughnuts even.


I was a little worried my stomach would rebel. It did a little, but the doughnuts worked well actually. Cake type foods don't bug me as much as other sweets. Now if there was a lot of glazing or jelly filling I'd be writhing in a ditch somewhere.

But it was a good reminder to carry more food that I'm used to.

Just getting out the door was the training. I am supposed to do some sprints first then a long ride, and the next day do a long ride and end with Muscle Endurance intervals.

But I just couldn't do any sprints. Just turning the pedals in the cold and going from A to B was all I could muster. And barely at that. Crawling up the last hill. And I've been a wreck since the ride finished.

Road riding is definitely harder than mountain biking...You pedal more.

One of the traps I fall into now and then is thinking in terms of the training I'm gonna do. Next month I'm gonna do thes. Next season I'm gonna do this. Instead of right now I am doing this. When the time comes to do it, ofen times it's much slacker than what you were gonna do.

I'm trying to get away from gonna dos and just do. Today I did.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take in a coffee with sugar before my rides and then scarf down a honey dip donut halfway through. I've been told it's an old dh racing ritual.

We've had the worst winter I can remember up here. Weeks of torrential rain followed by unseasonal cold and snow followed by more rain and then cold so everything freezes up. Probably seen about ten days of sunshine in the past three months.

But one of them is today, so I'm off for some muddy trails... Started on the gravel mileage yesterday...

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Just getting out the door was the training.

Thank you -- really needed to read that today!

Next month I'm gonna do thes. Next season I'm gonna do this. Instead of right now I am doing this.

guilty as well -- it always sounds so great and intense too!

I'm trying to get away from gonna dos and just do. Today I did.

Way to go and good inspiration as well! (By the way, I accomplished my longest distance to date last Sat with a 7 mile dist and now I am going to run -- haven't run at all in the interem and feel bad about that... so I know I will feel great in about an hour)

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey doughnuts are in a food pyramid I saw, or maybe is my own Homer S. pyramid.hummmmmm doughnuts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home