Thursday, August 21, 2008

failing functional strength

I've definitely seen my core strength and overall functional strength dimish this year. I'm mountain biking much less, maybe once week if that, not doing any back stretches or ab work.

With the slight loss in weight recently, my muscles look beefcake but just trying to pick up my kids across a stream or move boxes makes it readily apparent that my functional strength has dimished. Riding feels fine for the most part, but short rides don't create that cummulative fatigue in the upper body that you can only get from a long day on the mountain bike.

Yoga, pushups, some basic back stretches are all in order. It's more just a mental hurdle to get it on my radar. I'm always bee-bopping back and forth full engagement from one thing to another and if it's not right in front of me then I forget.

3 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Paul C Smith said...

I know exactly how you feel. Earlier in the year I was a lot leaner than I am now, sitting at 137lbs, 8% BF but it sure had its downsides. When doing anything that involved brute strength, I just felt weak. I'm up to 145lbs at the moment (which is mostly gained muscle but a bit of fat) and feel much stronger, and also a lot faster on the bike too. Sometimes too lean isn't always the best for cycling performance.

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Mary Shane said...

Thank you so much for this awesome post! I have been planning to get a dvd so i do not have to attend a class. Thank you and more power to you and to your site!

Functional Strength

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous sexshoptienda said...

Pretty worthwhile data, lots of thanks for your post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home