Monday, October 29, 2007

This wasn't my idea...really

As a parent I often find myself struggling between coddling the kids and encouraging them to try things beyond their comfort zone. I think this especially true of fathers and when it has to do with athletics. I was never much of an athlete and athletics weren't definitely the priority in my house growing up. I try to encourage it more with my own kids, but the fact is they are not naturals or phenoms like seemingly all the kids in the neighborhood. They often are just like me, a little timid about pushing the limits.

So when my son said he wanted to try riding down the stairs I was both scared and elated at the sametime. Non-chalantly, I said ok lets set up at the top. Keep the pedals level and don't brake with the front brake and keep your weight back. I got half way down the steps to catch him if he fell. He decided to not do it.

Which was fine with me, cause it is a daunting drop for a little kid. I was just proud that he even wanted to try it in the first place. Then I go back inside to do some stuff. He comes in a few minutes later saying that he did it and he wanted to show me. I couldn't believe it. I tried not to show any surprise or fear about it and said ok show me, but let me get the camera. No big deal just want to take a picture of it. The last thing I want to do is give him any idea that what he's doing is scary and has potential for carnage.

So he sets up at the top of the front stairs and is ready to go and then Mom comes running out the front door all aghast. What is going on here.. you know the Mom drill. I'm like..Go...back...in..side. Trying to nip this in the bud before the kid gets all worried and scared. This is the key to mtn biking. Not knowing enough to be scared. He doesn't know yet that he should be scared. When you get scared you get hesitant, and anyone that knows anything about mountain biking knows that is the begining of the end.

So I told mom to just go back inside, my son just goes for it. no problem almost textbook form. No big deal, good job. And I move onto something else before he realizes the knots in my stomach are making me sick.

My greatest hope isn't that they turn out to be scholarship atheletes or anything. I just want them to live and try things without the self made obstacles that I've seen block my own development.

4 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Cool stuff...

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Moms just don't understand.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger RickySilk said...

Great post. I've got a 4 year old boy and we'll be entering this territory soon.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Carol said...

oh so cool! David and I are both proud to be his aunt and uncle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home