Thursday, March 01, 2007

Not really back on the horse..more like side saddle

I'm not really back on the training program yet. Still not feeling well enough to push too hard.

But I had to do something to get the legs checked out and just get that gosh darn it you're good enough pat on the back that the legs haven't atrophied away. Today called for some 4on 2 off intervals: 4 sets of 2 reps

I just warmed up and then 2 reps and got off. Just enough to get the legs going.

I'm just going to take it easy the next 3 days and do a few short efforts to keep from wasting away. The excercise does help loosen my congestion some. Unfortunately, I am not clearing out my sinuses very well and need to explore some of the alternatives that readers have left comments on.

It's kind of a bummer. Things were going so well and the wind just gets taken out of the sails. But it's probably a blessing in disguise. It's a long season and there will be time to rebuild. Too much enthusiasm can lead to quick burnout so hopefully this unplanned break will result in renewed focus.

Oh well, it happens. In the words of that (in)famous ear-biting boxer: "Everyone has plan until they get hit"

5 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there... it typically takes 10 days to get it totally out of your system (that's if you're smart enough to rest). You'll be right back where you left off, so long as you do take the time for rest. Shoot to be back at it on Mar. 7... It'll probably take 2-3 sessions before you're really back on form, but you'll get there.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger BB said...

I hate to keep bugging you, but since the book is not available I keep having all these questions for you.

At the link to your off-season training index for the MSP phase (Part 7), it doesn't really say too much about how much work time should be done in this phase. Based on your prior years of training for sport category (which is what I race in), what would be a general ballpark figure to start with in terms of reps, minutes of the phase and what type of a total work time I should build to by the end of the phase?

Thanks for any tips or general guidelines for the MSP phase. I do so appreciate it. Especially since the book is not available.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

For sport level, I was working up to about 30-36 minutes total work. So something like 2x10 or 3x8 at the start, and then ending with 3x12 the last week of MSP. A gradual buildup.

In the early season I'd also do butt kickers which are long intervals 8-12 minutes where each minute you alternate between MSP and SMSP intensities (1min at MSP, 1min at SMSP, 1 min at MSP, 1min at SMSP)

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger BB said...

Sounds good. Thanks for the plan. I'll start in the 20-24 minute range and build to the 36 minute range. Should I assume, like the SMSP consecutive days, that day 2 (and 3) would be slightly less volume with more rest between to still make the power?

The butt kickers sound fun as well. ;-)

I hope your sinus woes get worked out. I guess we walk the fine line when it comes to exercising with a virus vs. exercising with an infection which is tough to do. You'll bounce back. Patience...

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Ashwin Amanna said...

Yes,
drop duration a little and keep power up. maybe

It helps to do the second day on a long hill. Harder to cheat, easier to motivate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home